This is a family recipe which I have been enjoying for years!
Serves 4 as a main or 8 as a side dish.
- 1 cup Bulgur wheat – rinsed thoroughly
- 8 spring onions finely sliced
- 1 – 2 cups of finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup of finely chopped mint
- 4 large tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
Soak the Bulgur wheat in warm water for about 10 minutes or until it is soft but still has a bite to it. Rinse, drain thoroughly and place into a mixing bowl
Add the spring onions, tomatoes, chopped herbs and mixed spice – stir together
Add lemon juice and olive oil, season with plenty of black pepper
Chill and serve
Serve it up
- Enjoy as a side dish with fish, chicken or meat and green salad.
- I personally enjoy this most of the time with homemade lamb or beef meat balls, a crunchy green salad and a yoghurt dressing like Tzatziki (yoghurt, mint, cucumber, garlic).
- If you are short on time, you can use hot water to soak the bulgur wheat and it will only take 5-10minutes to soften. It can go very soft, so just keep checking as it is soaking to make sure it doesn’t go mushy, it still needs to have a ‘bite’.
- You can use cooked brown rice, buckwheat or quinoa for a gluten free version.
Nutritional Information per serve 4
kJ (Kcals) = 1240kj, 295kcals Carbs = 44g Protein = 10g Fat = 9g Fibre = 4g
Grab a copy of Claire’s amazing 10-step guide to feeling fabulous every day – it’s FREE!
See Claire’s best-selling books, Lose Weight for Life and Feel Good for Life
For more ideas and inspiration, check out www.claireturnbull.co.nz and find Claire on Facebook
For one-on-one nutrition advice, visit Claire’s team of dietitians / nutritionists at Mission Nutrition