I just love this recipe, so refereshing and perfect all year round. I made this for a Social Cooking evening and it was a real hit, perfect for 4 people.
- 500g free range chicken mince
- 1 rounded tablespoon of rice (40g)
- 2 shallots or 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1-2 red chillis (amount to taste)
- 2 tsbp fish suace
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 5 tbsp of water + extra if needed
- 4 kaffir lime leaves very finely chopped
- Handful of mint
- Handful of coriander
- 1 iceburg lettuce
- Steamed/boiled brown rice to serve
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
Heat a small pan without any oil and add the dry rice. Toast the rice over a medium heat until golden, be careful not to burn it. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Add 5 tbsp of water to a large pan/non stick fry pan and add the minced chicken. Over a medium heat, allow the chicken to cook (almost stew) in the water, stirring occasionally. If all the water evaporates before the chicken is cooked, add a little extra.
While the chicken is cooking, it is time to grind the cooled rice. Put the cooled, golden rice into a pestle and mortar or a small blender and grind or blend until the rice becomes a fine powder.
Add the ground rice to the chicken and stir through, add a tablespoon or two of additional water if needed to stop the chicken from burning.
Now add the remaining ingredients to the chicken, stir together and it is ready to serve.
Serve with steamed brown rice and iceburg lettuce cups.
- It is super easy to grow your own chillis and a mini kaffir lime tree! A great idea if you love looking this type of food to keep costs down.
Grab a copy of Claire’s amazing 10-step guide to feeling fabulous every day – it’s FREE!
See Claire’s best-selling books, Lose Weight for Life and Feel Good for Life
For more ideas and inspiration, check out www.claireturnbull.co.nz and find Claire on Facebook
For one-on-one nutrition advice, visit Claire’s team of dietitians / nutritionists at Mission Nutrition